Saturday, April 23, 2005

Alpha heroes and wimpy heroines

Yesterday there was a thread on All About Romance's Potpourri Board about EC books. A reader stated that she found many of EC's books to have very dominating heroes but relatively wimpy heroines.

Having read quite a few EC books, I don't really agree with this, but the perception that alpha heroes must be paired with wussy heroines intrigues me. My heroine isn't in the least wimpy. She's the leader of a galactic empire, and she has the hero in chains before the first chapter is over. But THE IMPRISONED PRINCE isn't a female-dominant book, either. Eventually the tables are turned, and the heroine finds herself in chains. I'm not going to tell you how the book ends, but I will tell you that I prefer books in which the hero and heroine are equally strong and equally dominant. I also like to write stories in which the characters learn from their mistakes and grow by the end of the book. I hope I've succeeded!

For another interesting view on alpha heroes, check out EC author Charlene Teglia's post yesterday on Romancing the Blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaynie R said...

Oh I so disagree with that person. The reason EC has such hot and heavy alpha heros is because the guys need to be alpha to take on the heroines. I've never read an EC book with some of those wimpy, virginal category heroines in it.

I wish I knew what books she was talking about *sigh*

I don't like wimpy heroines - I tend to throw books at the wall with wimpy heroines. I have never thrown an EC book at the wall *g*

Congrats on your upcoming release.

huggles,

6:42 PM  
Blogger Meg Harris said...

Thanks for the input, Jaynie. I agree with you!

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home