Friday, April 29, 2005

Morgan Hawke's blog

I wandered around Morgan Hawke's blog, Dark Erotica, for quite a while yesterday. It's full of useful information for the author of erotic romance. Here's the phrase that struck me the hardest: To be erotic fiction, sex has to drive the plot.

I'd never thought of that so clearly before, but I think it's true. If you write sex in a romance novel, it must always be important, and sex scenes must propel the plot forward. Otherwise it comes across as gratuitous because it isn't really important to either the characters or the reader. But sex isn't the driving force of an ordinary romance; love is.

An erotic romance, on the other hand, isn't just a romance with a lot of extra sex tossed in. Morgan quotes someone else: "If you can remove the sex from the erotica and still have a viable story in another genre, you did it wrong!" The sex is integral (not just important, but INTEGRAL) to the plot of an erotic romance, and the growing love between the characters is driven by the sex rather than vice versa. That's true of Imprisoned Prince, although honestly I didn't realize that when I wrote it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Morgan Hawke said...

"...The sex is integral (not just important, but INTEGRAL) to the plot of an erotic romance, and the growing love between the characters is driven by the sex rather than vice versa. That's true of Imprisoned Prince, although honestly I didn't realize that when I wrote it."

Then you did it RIGHT instinctively! Proof Positive that you are a natural in the genre of Erotic Romance. Go Girl! I'm definitely going to get YOUR book!

Morgan Hawke

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home