Tuesday, May 17, 2005

To trash or not to trash, that is the question

An interesting juxtaposition: On the newly opened Novelspot, Diana Laurence trashes erotic romance (except, presumably, her own particular brand of the genre). She says, "To put it bluntly: Why does erotica so often have to suck?...I'm starting to think erotica is the unsightly boil on the cheek of romance... I've sampled from the erotic romance works of some quite successful new writers, and even though it's taboo to criticize your fellow authors, I'm sorry--I just found most of them terrible." Later she adds, "And don't you dare pay good money for these kinds of books. If you do I'll come after you with my keyboard and give you a sound conk over the head with it. And then I'll bandage the bump I gave you and make retribution by reading you some good erotica...."

And to top off this rant, she says, "To me this stuff is just verbal crack: if you have a fetish for the stuff it will turn you on, but there's nothing nourishing to the mind, heart or soul to be found in it." There's more... follow the link and do post to let her know your thoughts.

And on the Sirens' Blog, Elisa says, "Something that appeals to one person may not be what’s going to appeal to someone else. We all have our own tastes when it comes to everything in life, and books are no exception. Rude comments meant to insult those who read certain kinds of books do little more than showcase the narrow-mindedness and insecurities of the person making the comments."

Amen to that:-).

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaynie R said...

Hi my name is Jaynie and I'm a verbal crack and fetish adict. *g*

That woman had me so riled up I refuse to even mention her name.

It's just sad, I'm almost starting to feel sorry for her.

...almost.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

Hi Meg :) You've been tagged. Check out my 5/22 entry on my blog.

Your loving editor :)

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home